Cloud Security & Compliance for Healthcare
Simple, modern cloud security for leading HealthTech companies
Inoculate Your Health IT with Unrivaled HIPAA-Compliant Cloud Security
From clinical data sharing and the consumer-facing patient portals to back-end and mobile application development, cloud computing is an IT infrastructure standard within healthcare. This shift echoes the development of electronic health records and big data analytics activities, which multicloud strategies make possible throughout the entire health IT infrastructure.
But as cloud computing takes a more prominent role within health IT, decision-makers need to better understand the roles of compliance and security concerning the cloud solutions they implement throughout their IT infrastructure. This includes knowing how effective cloud security helps healthcare organizations ensure patient security and HIPAA compliance, as well as compliance with the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH).
Unprecedented Health IT Challenges
Healthcare is one of the most frequently targeted industries by cyberattackers.
- Complexity: Healthcare providers are dealing with the proliferation of different connected health devices throughout the network, all built on a wide spectrum of platforms, which are becoming a common attack vector.
- Always-On: Critical patient data is more available than ever, therefore, more accessible. This means that systems cannot go down for updates and that maintenance needs to happen ad-hoc and without patient interruption.
- Valuable: The dark web makes the abundance of accessible patient data a valuable commodity. This makes healthcare providers highly attractive targets for attackers.
Adding to these challenges, healthcare providers can add compliance to the list. All the advancements associated with modern healthcare systems lead to complexity for IT security teams and gaps in network visibility, compliance, and security.
Compliance Made Easy
The key to total compliance and stronger security is to manage the logistical and physical security of the Health IT infrastructure and to implement security protocols that take the full lifecycle of protected health information (PHI) into consideration.
The core of these IT security protocols contains effective cloud security solutions like Lacework that streamline compliance by continuously tracking configuration changes and providing daily audits to maintain compliance and protection.
Lacework monitors accounts for abnormal activity, even when that activity is technically authorized. We empower IT security and compliance teams with customizable alerts when items change from compliant to non-compliant.
- Lacework checks across the industry-accepted CIS Benchmark for secure configurations for cloud accounts and workloads.
- Lacework includes supplemental checks for common compliance frameworks like PCI-DSS, SOC 2, HIPAA, and HITECH.
- Lacework empowers compliance and security teams with continuous analysis and historical reporting to demonstrate what is being checked, where problems exist, an analysis of each problem encountered, and the steps needed to remediate misconfigurations.
- Lacework’s configuration compliance solution is built to detect behavioral anomalies, so even if configurations meet required standards, unauthorized use or abnormal activity is detected and alerted on. This ensures that organizations are aware of issues that might go undetected by solutions that only identify non-conforming compliance rules.
Innovation at the Speed of DevOps
Leading companies innovate, go to market, and scale quickly with limited resources. These companies ship products at light speed with security at every touchpoint. At Lacework, we empower customers to do this with our cloud security platform. Lacework enables customers with visibility to secure data, networks, and DevOps teams that involve the entire organization and communicates vulnerabilities as soon as they are detected.
Lacework Polygraph™ exceeds security and compliance requirements by empowering IT security teams with security content that drives visibility into host workload, container, and Kubernetes platforms as well.
Lacework was built from the ground up for detecting and observing security threats in the cloud, including serverless, containers, and Kubernetes workloads, and streamlines security tasks for software teams building on Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
Always-On Cloud IT Security
One of the most important gaps within healthcare systems is robust and real-time monitoring of all activity. Lacework not only constantly monitors networks for anomalies, but our foundation, Polygraph, delivers a deep temporal baseline built from collecting high-fidelity machine/process/users interactions over a period of time.
The Polygraph is used to detect anomalies, generate appropriate alerts, and provides a tool for users to investigate and triage issues including:
- Activity on all cloud platform resources, such as new activity in a region, activation of new services, or changes to access control lists.
- Changes to users, roles, or access policies.
- Tampering to access or customer master keys.
By understanding the natural hierarchies of processes, containers, pods, and machines, Polygraph is able to dynamically develop a behavioral and communication model of your services and infrastructure that aggregates all data points to develop behavioral models.
Our behavioral model is the essence of how your healthcare infrastructure operates, and Polygraph leverages this to find activities that fall outside the model. In addition, Polygraph continually updates its models of your healthcare infrastructure as your data center behavior changes. Finally, Polygraph is able to use the model of your healthcare organization to spot IaaS account configurations that violate compliance and security best practices.
Download our solution brief to learn about how Lacework helps you ensure patient safety and industry compliance by delivering deep visibility for configurations across all your enterprise’s cloud accounts and workloads.
What Our Customers Say
- “[We] got rid of a lot of tools and the need to log into multiple interfaces…forget that mess!!! Hundreds of false positives before are now down to one and two things we need to pay attention to because of Lacework. Tracking down alerts was taking 50 percent of the Engineering / DevOps team’s time to triage and [make] changes. Now they get one to two per day, log on in the morning, check the few alerts and go about their day.”
- “A second set of eyes when it comes to security. With the growth of instances and containers, it is difficult to monitor and review every log or activity. By using Lacework, we’ve been able to use the Lacework AI to net down patterns, violations, and compliance activity all in a single dashboard saving time and resources. More importantly, historical charts and reports are extremely helpful for audits to demonstrate alerting, notification and review.”
- “Lacework Polygraph, within minutes of the attack occurring, was able to detect something that the other ones were not. It outperformed everything we’ve been doing.”
- “I’m extremely happy with Lacework. I sleep better at night knowing we have full visibility into our cloud operations. It was the one tool that checked all my security boxes.”
- “Lacework offers us speed and offers us the ability to focus on what we do in terms of building a great product that’s secure. I would definitely recommend it to other IT professionals or product companies that are building a cloud-based application.”
Account security solutions for cloud containers & multicloud
environments via a single unified console